The Cat In The Hat Cake {Color Flow Technique}


I have always been interested in cake decorating, and even though I have never had the chance to take any cake decorating classes, I have tried to make a special cake each year for the children's birthdays.  So far we have had a race car cake, a caterpillar, Elmo, Veggie Tales, Thomas the Train and a dinosaur cake.

For the past several months our now 3-year old has been in love with The Cat In The Hat {his new favorite thing to say is "I don't like it, not one little bit!"}, so there was no doubt that I had to make a Cat In The Hat cake for his third birthday.

I had never worked with royal icing color flow so I was thrilled when I discovered this video tutorial on YouTube.  This video makes the process look very easy, but it actually took me a couple tries to get it right.




I ran out of disposable frosting bags and ziploc bags, so I attempted to make my own parchment bags.  I wouldn't recommend using these with color flow as it is very thin and very easily leaks out of the bags and makes a big mess.





I taped waxed paper over the image and made royal icing according to the instructions that came with the canister of meringue powder.  I used a #3 tip to outline the image, but I think tip #2 would have worked better.

I piped the outline in white icing instead of black because when I tried to make black it turned out dark purple.



After I finished the outlines, I thinned the royal icing with water in order to fill in or "flood" the outlines.








It is helpful to keep toothpicks on hand while you are flooding to fill in all the tiny areas.







I had to use a lot of red in order to get a real red color.  Letting the icing sit for a while also helps.






The pictures below show what they looked like after they were completely filled in with "flooding consistency" royal icing.  The red and blue did bleed into the white outlines a little bit, but I covered that up when I traced the outlines with black edible marker.




I let this harden for about 24 hours to make sure that it was completely dry, and then made the outlines with black edible marker.  I used the Gourmet Writer by Americolor.  As you can see in the picture, these are very fragile and I did break a few pieces while I was trying to make the outlines.




After I frosted the cake and put the figures on, I finished it off by piping the kite string and tails and the whiskers with Wilton black decorating frosting.


Pin It

14 comments :

Lisa said...

Wow! I can't believe you made these! Looks great!

Vanessa said...

I love experimenting with cakes and this was a lot of fun.

The Jammie Girl said...

You did a beautiful job! I'm pinning this to try later (when I'm feeling brave!)

Vanessa said...

If I can do it anyone can! I would suggest trying something small at first. I did get a little overwhelmed trying to do so many pictures at once.

MrsFoxsSweets said...

WOW! I love this! Not only do I love the Cat in the Hat, but your technique is so neat and clean looking! I would love it if you would come and share this at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party :) http://mrsfoxssweets.blogspot.com/2011/12/mrs-foxs-sweet-party-2.html

Rachel said...

How creative - and your execution is flawless! What a great cake :)

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Rachel. I have to admit that these pictures were from the second attempt. :)

Penny said...

This is fabulous. I don't think I would have ever thought of placing the waxed paper over the image like that. I am pinning this to my creative cakes board.

Thank you so much for linking up at Foodie Friday. Please be sure to link back.

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

This turned out amazingly gorgeous! WOW!!
Beth (TGIF)

The Southern Product Queen said...

Love this idea! Super cute, and love your blog! I'm having a linky party on my blog too! I would love it if you would link up to it! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/2011/12/20/linky-party-2/

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more said...

Great job! I always read that when you are making black icing start with chocolate, so add some cocoa to your royal icing. Also for red the americolor soft gel past works wonders. I would love to try this, but I have no artistic talent at all.

Vanessa said...

I'm not really an artist either, I just followed the lines the best that I could and hoped for the best. :) It actually surprised me when it looked half decent the second time around!

Thanks for sharing your tips. I've always used Wilton color gel, but I loved the Americolor edible markers {read lots of negative reviews about Wilton markers} so I might just have to switch!

Maggie Riggs said...

These look wonderful I am working on two cakes for the summer (boy/girl birthday) one is Mickey Mouse and one is Minnie Mouse. So excited to try this now!! BTW the concentrated colors (you can get them at Michaels) the black turns out nicely but wear gloves when you are using it because it stains your hands. :-)

Vanessa M. said...

Thanks for the tip, Maggie!