Saving In The Kitchen: Four Ways To Use Bread End-Slices



It all started last fall when I noticed that I was throwing away a lot of food {and money} and knew I needed to make a change. 

Our family is a picky bunch--we don't like to eat the end-slices of a loaf of bread; instead we just threw them away.  We were wasting a lot of good bread, and I went to work to see if I could find ways to use them.

Now, instead of throwing away the bread end-slices, I put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer.  I keep adding to the bag until it is full and then take them out and thaw them on a baking sheet on the counter. 

With a little bit of research {what did we ever do before the internet?} I was able to find some quick and easy recipes to use up those end-slices:
Tip:  1 slice of bread = approx. 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.


Note about the homemade croutons {pictured above}:  even though the recipe calls for french bread, these came out really well using the end-slices.  The brand of bread that I use has thick end-slices {about the same thickness as a slice of bread}, but this recipe may not work as well with really thin end-slices.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

When I have an old brad slices, I usually make one of this two dishes for breakfast or dinner:
1. Bakines - whip 2 eggs and add some milk (around 1dl)Shortly put bred slices in eggs with milk and than bake them in hot oil(I prefer a grape seed oil because it is healthier, lowers bad cholesterol and raises a god one). You can serve it hot or cold but it is tastier when it is hot. You can put a cheese or jam on it.
2. Popara - Cut old bread in little cubes. Put some water to boil, and then place the bread cubes in boiling water with strongly whipping. It has to be just a small amount of water, to look like a bread wont be able to imbue with it. Then, add some milk and keep whipping for a minute or two to make a beautiful mash. After you turn it off the heat, put a piece of butter. Serve it hot with a cheese.

Vanessa said...

Thank you for sharing your recipes!