Saving in the Kitchen: Five Meals With Five Chicken Breasts Experiment

If you had told this former city girl 10 years ago that one day I would be prepping my own chicken, I wouldn't have believed you.  Back then the only chicken that I knew existed was the boneless, skinless variety, and "butterfly" certainly had nothing to do with chicken.  Come to think of it, I didn't even like to touch raw meat.  I have come a long way.

This week I bought a family pack of five bone-in chicken breasts {$.81/lb. after sale and coupon!} and prepared them according to the Five Meals With Five Chicken Breasts post from Parenting the Tiniest of Miracles {yes, I even "butterflied" them!}.  That one package of chicken provided us with five meals for the week.  Not only can you make five meals, but you can also make your own chicken broth.

These are the meals that I was able to prepare with five chicken breasts:

Chicken Pot Pie
Asian Chicken Stir-Fry With Mixed Veggies
Chicken, Broccoli & Garlic White Pizza
Batter-Dipped Chicken Sandwiches
Chicken Vegetable Soup

To save even more time this week, I used the $3.00 off 3 Pillsbury Products coupon from the 2/27 SS newspaper insert and bought Pillsbury Pie Crust and Pizza Crusts to use in the Chicken Pot Pie,
Chicken, Broccoli & Garlic White Pizza and Sausage Breakfast Pizza.

These meals provided just enough for my family of four with just a few leftovers eaten for lunch {which leaves me wondering what I am going to do when my boys become hungry teenagers! :)}. 

I just loved this idea and I hope my experience will inspire you to look for new ways to save money on groceries.  I would love to hear your ideas about how you save money in the kitchen!

0 comments :