Lesson From the Deli Counter: Be An Alert Shopper

I was shopping at Hannaford when I noticed some pamphlets at the deli counter.  Being the nosy shopper {a.k.a alert shopper} that I am, I took one and found some coupons inside.  When I saw the $1.50 off Sara Lee Lower Sodium Deli Meat manufacturer's coupon, I thought I might be able to get a good deal on deli meat, but they didn't sell it at my store. 

I put the coupon in my bag and the next time I went to Walmart I not only found the right type of deli meat, it was priced at just $2.98 a pound.  After using the Sara Lee coupon, I got a pound of lunch meat for just $1.48!

I learned a very important lesson at the deli counter that day...I can save money by being an alert shopper.  Take a quick glance at the displays that are in the aisles.  Quickly scan products for coupons.  I have noticed that "peelie" coupons {coupons attached to products} have become very popular and more and more manufacturers are using them.  I recently purchased boxes of pasta that had a $1.00 off pasta sauce coupon right on the box.  After using a coupon for the pasta, I got them for $.58 a box and was able to get pasta sauce {a brand that I would normally never consider buying because of the price} for a little over $1.00!  What a great deal! 

Be on the look-out for coupons inside specially marked {and sometimes not specially marked} packages.  I recently had a coupon for $1.00 off Kellogg's FiberPlus cereal and when I went to check the price, I also noticed that there were $5.00 worth of coupons inside some of the packages.

Another example is from a Rite Aid shopping trip last December when I picked up the last Gillette Clinical Deodorant that had a little sticker that said there were coupons inside.  After I used the coupons that I had and an +UP Reward, I got that Gillette Clinical for free.  One of the coupons in that free box of Gillette deodorant was a buy one, get one free Gillette body wash coupon that I used at Rite Aid to get 2 bottles of Gillette body wash for free! 

During your next shopping trip, actively search for coupons in the store.  You might be surprised at what you find and how much money you can save! 

0 comments :