Homemade Dough Ornaments: A Fun Christmas Craft for Kids




My oldest son and I had such a wonderful time making these homemade ornaments!  Not only are these fun to make, but they are very inexpensive too. 

I've included all the directions to make these ornaments below:







What you need:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup salt
3/4 cup water
Rolling pin
Cookie cutters
Metal spatula
Baking sheet
Straw

Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Gradually stir in water until mixture forms a ball {in both batches that I made I needed to add a little more water than what the recipe recommended}.  Turn out onto lightly floured surface.  Knead for 3 to 5 minutes. 

Roll out to approx. 1/4 inch thick.  Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.  Using a metal spatula, carefully lift dough shapes and place on a baking sheet.  Use the straw to cut out a small hole for the ribbon.  Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes to an hour.  Cool completely.  Remove from pan and decorate!


Decorating supplies:
Paint
Paintbrushes
Ribbon
Glitter
Glue

I was able to find a paint/paintbrush kit and the glitter at the Dollar Tree.  The ribbon I found at a craft supply store for $.25 and I was able to get the glue at Walmart this past summer for $.15. 


The $2.40 that I spent to decorate these ornaments was well worth the money.....





Dough recipe from Company's Coming: Gifts from the Kitchen by Jean Pare

0 comments :