Simply Saving Saturday - February 8


This week my husband and I enjoyed a free meal at a fancy restaurant.  My husband's employer hosts an annual employee dinner every February and we look forward to this free "date" every year.

On Wednesday we had a snow storm that gave us about 6 more inches of snow.  My husband also had that day off from work and instead of using the snow blower he and the boys went out late Wednesday afternoon to shovel.  They went out again after he got home from work on Thursday to finish cleaning up the driveway. We saved a little bit of gas by shoveling instead of using the snow blower.

At the bread store this week I was able to buy a few items that were on sale for $.50 each and also bought loaves of whole wheat bread for $.99 each.  They had loaves of Texas Toast bread for $.99!  I splurged and bought a loaf since my husband treats us to french toast once in a while and french toast is just not the same if it's not made with Texas Toast bread.

I made Spaghetti Pie with leftover spaghetti and used cottage cheese that I got for $1 after sale and coupons.

After the children were born we got into the habit of leaving a light on at night.  This week I found an extra night light and we have been using that at night instead of leaving a light on.  I'm anxious to see if this will make a difference on our electric bill!

I added a little bit of water to the hand soap in order to get the last little bit from the bottom of the bottle.

In my mailbox: free samples.

Our on-going savings:

**Keep heat set at 66 degree during the day and 52 degrees at night.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

2 comments:

Shailynn Krow said...

That's a great way to save. I wish I could leave my thermostat at 66, but my husband dies when it dips below 72 :)

Vanessa M. said...

I've read that there is a 1 - 3% savings for every one degree that we lower the thermostat. Maybe you could check with him and see if he'd be ok with 71? :)