Simply Saving Saturday - February 15


My husband was able to get a ride home from church after his meeting on Sunday so that we were able to ride together to church instead of taking 2 vehicles, saving us money on gas.

This week I made a meal with lentils for the first time.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a big hit at my house.  I will be looking for more lentil recipes to try since I now have 8 cups of cooked lentils in my freezer!

I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot and made overnight crock pot chicken broth.  I used the leftover chicken and chicken broth to make Chicken and Rice Soup and we also had chicken quesadillas and chicken sandwiches with the leftover chicken.

I found Nivea Lip Butter on sale at Walmart for $1.74 each and used the $3.00 Nivea lip care coupon from Sunday's paper.  I paid $.24 each!  I was also really excited to find bags of slightly browned bananas on sale for $.89/bag.  The bag I brought home had 12 bananas in it!  I made chocolate chip banana muffins and will freeze the bananas that I'm not able to use up quickly.

Our children made their dad Valentine's Day cards and I wrote him a Soap Love Note for Valentine's Day. Instead of eating out, I made a Valentine's Day meal at home and made one of his favorite desserts, Hot Fudge Cake.

We took the sleds out to the back yard for sledding.  A storm brought almost a foot of snow this week!

In my mailbox: free Martha Stewart Living magazine.

Our on-going savings:

**Keep heat set at 66 degree during the day and 52 degrees at night.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments:

Jenn in Indiana said...

Looks like you had a great frugal week! Keep up the great work and god bless your efforts!