Simply Saving Saturday - July 20

I am very thankful to live in an area where there are a lot of free summer activities that we can enjoy.  This week we took the boys to Smalls Falls.  We walked the trails in order to see the waterfalls and the boys cooled off in the shallow water.




Our savings for this week:

I followed an oven-free menu plan.

Peaches were on sale again this week for $.99/lb.  Since the boys don't care for the texture peaches (my youngest says they have strings in them), I made Peach Pie Popsicles with a few of them.  The boys loved the popsicles and they will be a nice treat to take to camp with us next week.


My favorite frugal activity this week was making our own write and wipe worksheets.  When our older son was a preschooler we used Rod and Staff preschool workbooks to help him learn to write letters and numbers.  He used many of the pages, but I was able to reuse them for our younger son by tearing them out of the book and putting them into page protectors.  He copied the letters onto the page protectors with a dry erase marker that could easily be wiped off after he was finished.  We will be able to use them over and over again.

I accidentally saved money this week when I forgot to buy paper towels.  We made it through the whole week without them!

I hung our bedding on the clothesline to dry.

Made laundry soap.  I used Ivory soap since that is what I had and so far it seems to be working well.

Added beans to our tacos.

Downloaded a cookbook for free on my kindle for PC.

Bought bread at the bread store for $.67 each.

Used a coupon and paid $.16 each for soap.

In my mailbox: a free magazine

Our on-going savings:

**Save eggshells for the garden.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

2 comments:

Jenn in Indiana said...

I noticed your "drive to town once a week" was crossed off. That made me smile, it is so hard to stay home all week long, especially in the summer or when my children are in activities. Also, are you homeschooling with these workbooks?

Vanessa M. said...

Even though I try to make only one shopping trip each week and I am home quite a bit, I do try to find a balance between being frugal and having fun. It is important to us that our children are involved in activities and are able to have a fun summer. There are some things that our children wanted to do this summer that we had to say no to, but we have still had a wonderful summer enjoying trips and activities that are within our means.

The workbooks that we are using are part of a preschool curriculum, but I'm not homeschooling. They were given to me when my older son was small and I used them to help prepare him for Kindergarten. I was happy to be able to reuse them for our younger son as well.

Thanks for your comment, Jenn. I hope you have a great week!