Recipe: Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars {No-Bake}


Pin It

Since one of our children is allergic to peanuts, I was thrilled to find a peanut-free granola bar recipe.  Not only is this recipe extremely easy, it is also very similar to our favorite store-bought brand. 

I adapted the recipe in order to make my favorite coconut granola bars, but don't be afraid to experiment--a variety of nuts, chocolate and dried fruit can be mixed and matched for endless possibilities!

Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars

Makes: 10-12 bars

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 tsp. shortening, divided





1.  In a large bowl, mix the oats,






2.  crispy rice,






3.  and the coconut.  Set aside.






4.  In a small pot, add the butter, brown sugar and honey and cook over medium-high heat until mixture starts to bubble.  Reduce heat and cook two more minutes.  Stir in vanilla.






5.  Pour brown sugar mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Firmly press the mixture into a lightly greased 9" baking dish.  Let cool.






6.  In a microwave safe dish, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tsp. shortening.  Spread over bars.  After the chocolate has hardened, cut into bars.

Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1/2 tsp. shortening.  Put melted chocolate in a zipper bag and cut off the tip.  Drizzle chocolate over bars; sprinkle with coconut.


Source: Adapted from No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars from Lauren's Latest


Pin It

14 comments:

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yum! These look amazing. I love homemade granola bars!

Julia said...

These look delicious!

Malisa said...

Hi there Vanessa! I was wondering if you used shredded coconut and if it mattered if it was sweetened or unsweetened? These look amazing and I wish you could just send me some through my computer. Thank for sharing such a tasty recipe!

Vanessa said...

Hi Malisa! I used sweetened shredded coconut because that is what I had on hand, but I'm sure unsweetened would work well too. In fact, I would recommend using unsweetened coconut as I thought the bars were just a little bit too sweet for me {even though my children had no complaints :)}.

Liberty said...

yummers!
Blessings
http://bit.ly/c35ixk

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Those look delicious!! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Deana said...

These look delicious. Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..have a wonderful weekend:)

Chatty Chics said...

Oh my goodness. Delish! They sound and look so wonderful!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Chocolate and coconut?! YUM! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Maria said...

These look great! I've been making my own granola bars too, and have made chocolate coconut ones too, it's such a great flavor for granola bars!

Vanessa said...

Maria, I would have to agree with you...chocolate and coconut is one of my favorites! What granola bar recipe do you use?

Clairejustine said...

Looks delicious thank you for sharing at Creative Mondays :)

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I love no bake recipes and I can't wait to make them for the kids! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

CJ @ Morsels of Life said...

The chocolate and coconut are a great flavor combo, and no bake? Sounds like a win to me!