Since one of our children is allergic to peanuts, I was thrilled to find a peanut-free granola bar recipe. Not only is this recipe extremely easy, it is also very similar to our favorite store-bought brand.
I adapted the recipe in order to make my favorite coconut granola bars, but don't be afraid to experiment--a variety of nuts, chocolate and dried fruit can be mixed and matched for endless possibilities!
Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 tsp. shortening, divided
1. In a large bowl, mix the oats,
2. crispy rice,
3. and the coconut. Set aside.
4. In a small pot, add the butter, brown sugar and honey and cook over medium-high heat until mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat and cook two more minutes. Stir in vanilla.
5. Pour brown sugar mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Firmly press the mixture into a lightly greased 9" baking dish. Let cool.
6. In a microwave safe dish, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tsp. shortening. Spread over bars. After the chocolate has hardened, cut into bars.
Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1/2 tsp. shortening. Put melted chocolate in a zipper bag and cut off the tip. Drizzle chocolate over bars; sprinkle with coconut.
Source: Adapted from No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars from Lauren's Latest