Make Your Own Magazine Holders From Cereal Boxes



I just love these magazine holders!  Not only is this a quick and easy project, they are a very inexpensive way to get organized using things that you already have in your home. 


What you need:

ruler
scissors
cereal box
glue runner or spray adhesive
(2) 12x12 peices of decorative paper
   other options: fabric, wrapping paper, paint, pages from old books or sheet music







1.  Cut the flaps from the top of the box.









2.  On one side of the box, make a line 5 in. from the bottom.




   


3.  Using a ruler, make a diagonal line from the line that was just made to the opposite corner of the box.  Flip the box over and make a diagonal line on the back.  Cut along the lines.






4.  Using the cereal box as a guide, trace all four sides of the box onto the back of the decorative paper and cut them out.  Tip:  before tracing the sides, be sure the paper pattern is going in the direction that you want.







5.  I used a glue runner to glue the paper to the box.  The trick to using a glue runner is to place the glue strips right on the edges so that the edge of the paper is tacked down really well.  If you have a spray adhesive, that would work well too.












6.  Add embelishments.  I added some matching ribbon to this magazine holder with the glue runner and used a little white glue on the ends of the ribbon to keep them from fraying.


Thanks to Sew Many Ways for the inspiration for these magazine holders.  You can also make sturdy magazine holders from UPS boxes.


Pin It

19 comments:

Brittney said...

I just bought a magazine holder at Target's $1 spot for the Your Big Backyard magazines and other things I wanted to keep for our school room, but I know I'll need more than one. I have a cheerios box that's about to be empty, so I will have to try this! Thanks for the tutorial!

Brittney
www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

Vanessa said...

I keep hearing about all the wonderful, inexpensive things people are finding at Target and I wish we had one here! I'm glad this tutorial was helpful to you.

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

I love this I have actually made these before great job love the paper you used.

Vicky said...

Very useful. Just a few minutes ago I was shoving some magazines into our already bloated holders. I always have lots of cereal boxes. Thanks! Visiting from We are THAT Family. Vicky from Mess For Less

Bliss Images and Beyond said...

Love this! NEED this! :-) I am a new follower from Craft Blog Hop, stop by my site sometime...

http://www.blissimagesandbeyond.blogspot.com/

Vanessa said...

Vicky, you are one step ahead of me...we didn't even HAVE magazine holders. :)

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

That is such a smart idea!! I love it! I will be doing this with some things around my house! Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower. I found you at Financial Friday Link Up at The Grant Life.
Jill
twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com
Would love if you stopped by and said Hi:)

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

Good idea! I like anything that would help me organize and feel like I have "pretty things," without having to spend money!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Oh my! I love this! I happen to have a bunch of cereal boxes saved.. thank you for the great idea :)

Also thanks for linking up to Financial Friday.. I love looking through your links! Ohh.. and I am your newest follower.. thought I was already. :)

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Kelly. I'm glad this idea was useful to you!

Jennifer @ The Brilliant Crafty Type said...

My daughter's room is so unorganized that I am gutting it this weekend while I have the house to myself. She has tons of felt and paper for crafting and I think this would work perfectly for storing those items AND I have old cereal in the pantry that I need to toss. Perfect!

Vanessa said...

I love it when I can make a project with things I already have!

MiaB said...

Such a great and creative idea :) I'm your newest follower... thanks so much for sharing this on Sharing saturday.

~MiaB
www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

Leroy Coffie said...

never would have thought this was possible, very creative-added you from inpire me monday blog hop

Chatty Chics said...

Adorable! How smart are you! What a great way to reuse a cereal box! Thank you so much for linking up at my place! Please come back again on Wednesday if you can!
Melody
ChattyChics.com

Christa aka The BabbyMama said...

This makes me feel lazy :) I just nipped a mag holder from work and then craft paper-ed over it!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Heaven knows we have plenty of cereal boxes. Thanks for the tutorial!

Magazine Holders said...

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

malar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.